About Spine Class
Our spine team understands that an upcoming surgery can be scary and overwhelming. That’s why we created a class for spine surgery to help kids and families prepare. It’s typical to attend Spine Class one to two months prior to surgery. Call 720-777-6962 to sign up.
The spine surgery class offers:
- A tour of the Surgery Center, patient rooms and other hospital amenities
- Expert speakers from the spine care team, including nurses, a physical therapist, a child life specialist and a respiratory therapist
- Answers to questions about anesthesia, pain management, recovery and more
Attendees also have an opportunity to meet a Children's Colorado patient who recently had a similar surgery. The patient will tell their story and answer questions about spine surgery. Attendees can ask anything, including:
- How was the stay at Children's Colorado?
- How did you beat boredom while recovering from surgery at home?
- How long after spine surgery did you get back to regular activities?
- What activities are you participating in now?
- What is life like after spine surgery?
- What are some tips and tricks for an easier recovery?
Spine Class FAQ
When and where is Spine Class held?
Spine Class is held at Children's Colorado on Anschutz Medical Campus in the Conference Center on the second floor. Class usually takes place on the first Wednesday of every month from 1:30 to 4:15 p.m.
How do I sign up?
Call the nurse line at 720-777-6962.
Who can come to Spine Class?
Spine Class is designed for healthy, older, school-age children, teens and young adults. Younger children and children with special needs will also get a class and a tour, but in a one-on-one setting.
Who can come with me?
Patients can bring anyone they'd like to bring to Spine Class. Most patients bring their parents or guardian. Grandparents and older brothers and sisters can also attend.
I live out of town. How can I get this information?
Our spine team nurses are happy to answer any questions about spine surgery. Call our nurse line at 720-777-6962. You can also view the following videos to help prepare you for surgery: