Kids need different care, and Children’s Hospital Colorado has the expertise to provide it. We designed our care exclusively for kids — from diagnosis to treatment and recovery.
Medication management expertise
Children’s bodies process medication differently than adults’ bodies. Here, we consider many factors in addition to their physical symptoms, including:
- Size. We tailor dosages, frequency and type of medication for each patient's height and weight.
- Metabolism. Chemical processes in your child’s body (known as metabolism) can affect how quickly they respond to medication. We adapt their dosing frequency to make sure they have the right amount of medicine at the right time.
- Development. We take into account how medication may affect children’s development as they get older and adjust their dosages accordingly.
- Potential interactions. We thoroughly evaluate any other medications or substances that might cause unwanted interactions.
- Ease of taking medicine. We can often add flavors and smells to medications to make them easier for children to take.
Pain management expertise
It’s tough to watch your child experience pain, whether from surgery, illness or injury. Our anesthesiology and pain management specialists deliver compassionate care while making your child as comfortable as possible. We do this by:
- Understanding kids’ unique needs. Children’s chemical differences and emotional development affect the way they feel pain. Our anesthesiologists (doctors specializing in pain relief) and pain management specialists work together to determine the right treatment.
- Communicating with kids on their level. Children don't always have the vocabulary to explain where or how badly they hurt. Our pain management specialists use facial expressions and picture charts to determine how intense a child’s pain is. Since parents and other family members know their children best, we include them in the care process from start to finish.
- Offering empathy. Pain isn’t always physical. Sometimes it’s emotional, especially when children and adolescents are coping with chronic conditions or major surgery. Our child life specialists are here to support your child and family during challenging times.
Easing kids’ fear
Often, a child can't express what's wrong or may confuse fear with pain. As experts in pediatric medicine, we can recognize the difference between the two and effectively manage both.
We take steps to help kids feel safe and comfortable. For example, technology like virtual reality can sometimes relax kids just as well as anesthesia. If your child does need general anesthesia, we have calming techniques to ease their fear of needles and make the process safer.